Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday 19 July 2013

So, what do you do?

I've always found it completely bizarre that people define themselves by their job. Just completely bizarre.

But then don't we all define ourselves by what we do.



As most of you know, I recently entered the workforce after two years as a stay at home mum. I managed to secure myself a position as an 'Events and Publications Assistant' with a government funded think tank. Basically I spend my days assisting to plan events, taking photos at said events, editing photos, processing publications orders, and I've just started doing a few more hands on roles in publications. Just six weeks and I am absolutely in love with my job.

I'm sort of in a weird place. I am adjusting to not being Oliver's primary care giver. I still feel like I am all Mother, but I also feel like I am very dedicated to my career. I remember when the thought of having a lunch break without Oliver almost gave me a panic attack. Now we spend nine plus hours apart a day.

Now, if somebody asked me what I did I would answer that I am an Events and Publications Assistant.

But thats not the whole story. I am also a Mother, and I am proud to dedicate all of my time to being a mother, which is why this blog gets so little of my love. I am also proud to be getting paid to do something that I love. When I was a stay at home Mum I actually felt like I was working harder.

I find it so incredibly fucked up that success is generally defined by the paycheque that comes with it. Well, thats not how I define success. In fact, I don't think I could be any more successful than I am now. I have the perfect home life. Oliver is loving daycare and excelling. James and my relationship is rejuvenated. And I love my job. Nothing could actually be better.

It's all downhill from here, oh god! Although I'm sure it's not.

I guess if you do what you love, you should consider yourself a success. Even if you do it after work, you are lucky to be able to do what you love. And if you get paid for what you love, then wow, you've hit the jackpot.

So, what do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment